10.23.2006

The Ghost of Leon (Hess)!

These Jet wins are getting hard to watch! Especially at the end. I mean I will take the win, don't get me wrong. But we are making shaky offenses look like the 1989 49ers.

But we Jet fans do have a lot to cheer about. Especially in a season where sports writers didn't pick the Jets to finnish with more than 2 wins. So here we sit in second place in the division.

Currently the Jets are 2-1 in the division. Here's how the rest of the division looks: The Pats beat the Bills yesterday to stand alone at first place with a 4-0 division lead. Bills drop to 3rd place with a 1-3 division record. Miami lost yesterday to the Packers, despite Joey Harrington's 62 throws. The Dolphins fall to 1-6 overall and 0-3 in the division.

Below are yesterdays Game Ball Awards:

Most Consistent Quarterback Award - Chad Pennington: Chad went 16-22 with 189 yards and 1 TD. He also threw 1 pick. You can't beat him up too bad, but it would be nice to see him throw for more than 200 yards if we want to put teams away. That is only one part of what we need to do to finnish teams off earlier in games. The other part is to play defense. However, Chad did what he does best in this game, and that is not screw things up.

Stellar Running Back Award - Leon Frickin' Washington: In last weeks blog I criticized Mangina that he should be getting Leon the ball 18-20 times a game. Mangina gave the ball to Leon 20 times this week. I am glad Eric reads my blog! The rookie responded by carrying the ball for 129 yards and 2 TD's. His longest was a 23 yarder. That is over 6 yards a carry!!! And he looked EXPLOSIVE at times. He really should be getting the ball 22-25 times a game. Plus, they should throw it to him out of the backfield more (that is another thing that will put teams away earlier).

Hot Receiver Award - Jerricho (The Crotch) Crotchery: The Crotch caught 7 passes for 79 yards yesterday afternoon. I also have to give kudos to Mangina credit for throwing it Crotchery's way. This kid is looking good. He is coming into his own and looking better and better with every passing game (no pun intended).

Defense Award - Eric Coleman / Dwayne Robertson: Coleman had 9 tackles and 1 assist. He is good. Seems to be the only guy making tackles in the defensive backfield. Robertson actually gets some props this week too. He only had 4 tackles but also added 1 sack and a fumble recovery. It feels good to see Robertson get on the stick a little. Although, he still plays like a 6th round pick, not the 3rd pick in the draft (not that I am harboring any resentments).

Ted Nugent Award - Mike Nugent: Mike Nugent will get this award every time as long as he doesn't screw things up. I personally have no faith in this kid at this point, and I know I am not alone in that thought. But he went 1 for 1 with a 33 yard fieldgoal and 3 for 3 in extra points. I feel this kid is shaky so I try to build him up with this award every time. Great Job Ted, I mean Mike!

The Vagina Award - Eric Mangina: Even Eric Mangina deserves an award this week. Although I would love to see him finnish teams off better, something he hasn't done yet, he is doing a pretty good job. As the season was about to start and he was being so secretive with his QB starting job and all the hub bub about that, I began to get very skeptical. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by Mangina's winning ways. Overall, I couldn't ask for more, given what the expectations were at the beginning of the season.

Great Job to all the Jets!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fakehead...where's your loyalty??? I actually didn't catch any of it either.

But I saw the highlights (low lights in the 4th Q).

I agree with you two though. Good write up Unruly!

Arnie Shaw said...

Thanks titties and fakey on the props!

By the way titties, I love your name! Keep plugged into this site.

Arnie Shaw said...

Thanks titties and fakey on the props!

By the way titties, I love your name! Keep plugged into this site.

Mookie McFly said...

Yo UJF, maybe you need to stop sniffing glue or something but your oversized fingers keep hitting the key twice when you comment. Relax Spartacus!

I watched most of the game and have two key points I think you left out...

1.) How awesome is our punter & why the hell don't we get more Australian Rules Football players?!?!? The fucking guy pins teams downfield everytime his foot touches the ball.

2.) I don't know about putting teams away but why is our defense always tired in the 3rd/4th qtr.? Do these guys do conditioning at all? Every game including the big loss to Indy, they shit the bed and let other teams get in the game. You can't put it all on the offense, especially when lowly teams like the Seibu Lions are hitting grand slams late in every game. The "D" was not good yesterday, all around pussy-fest.

2.)

Anonymous said...

Shea...good point about the punter. But my question is, WHY ARE WE PUNTING IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!???

Mookie McFly said...

UJF (aka smf) in football on fourth down, if you are too far away to score and it is early in the game, you punt. Sheesh, I never even played football and I know that!

John Madden football often imitates life but life should not imitate John Madden football. I think Mangina has been far more agressive that Sherman Helmsley (aka Herman Edturds)which is good. But when you have a mediocre football team it is often good to be conservative, especially with a lead. He's gone on a lot of fourth downs already but it's nice to know that we have a punter who when called upon can give us some good defensive field position. Isn't it?

Arnie Shaw said...

Shea (or shall I say Jet Titties), you are correct in that my alter ego is Sick Mets Fan. You can identify us because we have the same last name, Fan.

OK, smell you later!

Mookie McFly said...

I'm not titties though...although I am a fan, I am not sure who that is...

Arnie Shaw said...

I didnt think it was you...but I like his name. I think I am going to start calling you Titties anyhow!

Ok, Smell ya later...Titties!